Saturday, August 18, 2012

travel day post script ie: the truth

Oh. My. Gawd.
Good new is, we made it to Florida and my Handsome Husband took the kids for a swim while I had enjoyed a glass of wine was able to diagnose that my wits are, indeed, recoverable.

When we arrived at the airport, I went over to a group of police and TSA and asked the guard to tell us (Z) the rules, because I was counting on this to set the tone. Well, the cop totally blew it. He went all, "aw shucks look at that face! Who could say no to you!" instead. So that was a bust.
No fear-motivated subdued behavior resulted there. What we got instead was a 4 year old who had just been handed the license to create mischief. 
And both walked away with a twinkle in their eyes.
And by the way, security guards, flight attendants, pilots and random people: making cute faces at my son and saying, "Aww, you look like trouble!" IS NOT HELPFUL!

But we got through security and all went well, We got some treats for the plane, waited for the plane, and around the time it was unloading, and we were queuing up to get on, that was about the time that Z ran out of his power not to wiggle. Considering it had been 75 min or so since we arrived at the airport you could hardly blame him, really. He spent the flight alternating between sitting upside down on his chair, hiding out under his chair, laying across the chairs and going to the lav. E was ever so helpful by pointing out how she was behaving so much better than her brother, until she reached her tipping point as well.  And after 2.5 hours in the air, my kids were visibly vibrating with pent up energy. But we did it and got to Chicago where we waited for the next plane.
And that was where things get fuzzy for me.

I don't know of anything that can be done with overexcited, overextended, travel weary young kids who are going to stay at a hotel on a beach and finally see their Dad whom they haven't seen in a month. This is where a working DVD player or a smart phone would have been a godsend. They cannot resist the hypnotizing magic of screens. It paralysis them.  Alas, I was traveling like one did in the 80's. So I just apologized to everyone they made casualties of and tried with various failing degrees of success to keep a grin on my face.

And I was reminded, as I read my pre-travel, post: I am full of shit.

Although being spies in the hotel is working, but this time they are ninjas.





No comments:

Post a Comment