Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Eastport in 48 hours

This past weekend we found ourselves Down East. It was a really brief, unplanned trip. My Handsome Husband called and said he  had a meeting to go to in Bangor, Maine so would we like to come? Of course we would! Get the kids packed! Let's GTFO!

That was Thursday afternoon. A few hours later, when Daddy arrived to take us away, I was exercising futility trying to pack and the kids were tearing around the house like wee rabid pups- literally grabbing handfulls of whatever (toys, clothes, dog food...) and throwing  the stuff in the air, squealing. I never should have told them we were going to a hotel for the night.
Eventually we stuffed ourselves in Daddy's truck, left the chaos behind and headed off on the 4.5 hour trip to Bangor already exhausted and nerves bared to the nub. Fun!
But somehow it was pretty fun, in the way that you make things fun with kids. Because so often doing stuff with kids is not really all that fun. At least not fun in the way I think of when I think of fun. Don't get me wrong, I WANT to have fun, I want things to be fun, but making things fun for a toddler and a 4 year old is ....work. So we had fun.  Even when the the kids, revived after sleeping most of the way, bounced all over us in the hotel room bed until 4am.
We arrive in Perry that Friday, late afternoon, and immediatley dumped the kids on their grandparents and strap on our snowshoes for a stomp in the woods.
The next morning we took the kids and Buggy back to where we were and had a grand old stomp around the cove. the tide was out and the ice was broken and cracked, contouring the river bed, shivering and snapping under our feet.






 This totally cracks me up. Emma has been working on her poses lately and nothing will distract her from posing for the camers. She demanded the video be taken.

 I brought this little guy along. He had been sitting in my bag of felt for a couple of years until I got involved with "pay it forward" thing where I get someone's handmade something and in return I give away 5 of my own handmade somethings.





That afternoon, we met up with our dear friend Rafi for another snowshoe. this time around Shackford head. It needs to be said right here that Rafi is one of the very best people in the world. True story. He has put up with my inappropriate, poorly timed, off the mark ridiculousness for over 8 years now and I just love him for it. On that tack, so has my husband. Thanks guys.
 The Bridge to Campobello Island New Brunswick. Beyond that, the 300' cliffs of Grand Mannan Island. You can see Canada from here!


This is where we went. It is steeper than it looks, and was totally fun to flop around in all that snow.


 This is another felted wool doll which is part of the "take 1 give 5" thing

What a great hike.
Since this is a P.G. blog, I won't spill about Dennis and I hitting the town that night until way too late and inbibing too many wierd vodka drinks and all the stuff that goes along with that sort of reprobate-like behavior. But here is a nice shot from the lovely room over the Commons that we rented for the night! Thank you. Ladies of the Commons, for a beautiful place to stay while vacationing in Eastport, Maine. Also worth nothing is the fantastic authentic mexican food from Bank Square Pizza. Superb! 


We went home Sunday  after a great breakfast at the Blue Iris Bistro, thanks Laura and Amy!
Whenever I go back to Eastport, I just want to stay there. It is such an amazing place. There were so many people that we didn't get to see. How much can you do with 48 hours after all. Oh well. I heart U Eastport.

No comments:

Post a Comment