Monday, July 11, 2011

It's all in the way you think about it. Or as the talking heads say: It's how you frame the dialogue.
If I decide the day is a bust and the kids are out of control and there is nothing I can do about it well then that is exactly what will happen. But if I make the conscious decision that this boat is going to bloody well sail to Happy Land and drag myself out of the scuppers to do it, that happens too. A fart noise (or best of all, a real mom fart) is key. I was actually right in the middle of some horrible rant when I made this discovery. The kids were falling apart because  of she-got-the-X-and-I-wanted-it syndrome (which had been going on ALL day), and I finally cracked. Bending down to get on their level, (they, at this point were rolling on top of each other with their feet up each other's noses) to school their asses about life, a very distinct trumpet-like sound emitted from myself and it cut through the wall of crazy like a hot knife through butter. Instant giggles. Mood transformed.
It was that easy:
Act really mad, get in lecture position. A few words in, cut the cheese. Everyone giggles.
Now you can talk about the problem from Happy Land.
You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment